In dentistry: what exactly is a dry socket?

21 doctors weighed in across 5 answers

Dry Socket: Dry sockeet occurs when the healing blood clot and granulation tissue comes out of the socket and the socket bone is exposed. Literally becoming a dry socket of exposed bone. Can be very painful.

Answered 9/10/2023

5.1k views

Inflammation of bone: Dry socket is known as 'alveolar osteitis'. This simply means an inflammation of the bone. Dry socket is not an infection. Therefore, antibiotics are not useful. Dry socket occurs when the blood clot is dislodged from the socket following an extraction. This leaves the bone exposed, which can sometimes cause inflammation.

Answered 9/28/2016

4.9k views

Dr. Robert Devin answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Dry Socket: A dry socket occurs when the clot in a tooth socket is lost after an extraction. A clot forms immediately after the tooth is removed. The clot is the first line of the body's defense. But sometimes it is lost from a specific germ/ or abrasion/suction etc.Then healing occurs by secondary intent. The dental surgeon needs to be seen to treat this and healing will happen.

Answered 4/24/2015

4.8k views

Dr. Robert Chin answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Dry socket: Dry socket is a post operative condition that occurs after you have a tooth extracted. The blood clot that usually forms in the tooth socket gets washed out or dissolved and leaves a bare exposed jaw bone. The socket must now heal from the bottom of the socket up. Usually you will have to have a medicated dressing placed and have it changed every 2-3 days. You should be placed on antibiotics.

Answered 4/3/2016

2.8k views

Dr. Paul Grin answered

Specializes in Pain Management

A dry socket: occurs when the blood clot at the site of the tooth extraction is dislodged causing severe pain. Another common symptoms are bad breath or a foul odor coming from your mouth. Treatment of dry socket is mainly geared toward reducing its symptoms.

Answered 6/1/2015

2.8k views