can i get pregnant or have surgery while taking warfarin?

Dr. Carolyn Thompson
Pregnant not advised: Warfarin is known to cause birth defects (fetal warfarin syndrome) if used in the first trimester, and neurological defects if used in the second and third trimesters. Women on warfarin should use reliable birth control. If someone taking warfarin wants to become pregnant, she should consult with her OB doctor before pregnancy to discuss alternate medications.
Dr. R. Wayne Inzer
Specializes in Obstetrics and Gynecology
No: Concerning surgery, you should discuss timing and stopping and alternatives before surgery. Surgery while taking warfarin can lead to excessive or dangerous bleeding.