U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
CA
A 36-year-old member asked:

What would happen if you accidentally swallowed small pieces of a plastic fork?

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology 53 years experience
Nothing: Plastic fork pieces are non-toxic and do not have significantly sharp outside edges even if broken. Your intestines are used to reacting to sharp objects by retracting and so penetration is extremely unlikely. Swallowing pieces of plastic cutlery is probably very common and I have seen no reports about this in the medical literature. So don't worry about it.
Dr. Mark Brezinski
Sports Medicine 34 years experience
Thanks
May 27, 2017

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Free
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Apr 4, 2021

Disclaimer:

Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.