i broke my fibula and have a complete tear of deltoid lig. dr. said a brace wouldn't help my ankle, but it feels like my ankle wants to roll outward toward the other ankle. what can i do?

Dr. Wenjay Sung
Podiatry 14 years experience
Ankle fracture: Sorry to hear. An AFO brace is worth a try, otherwise other stability braces are also available. As severs as your accident was, you may need further surgical procedures to fully gain stability if bracing, therapy, and exhaustive nonsurgicalntreatmentsvhave failed. I hope that helped. Good luck.
Dr. Steven Sheskier
Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Surgery 39 years experience
Difficult problem: Sounds like you have ankle instability due to a ligament (deltoid) being stretched out/torn. Usually the fibula prevents this from occurring (probably why it broke in first place) . There are surgeries that can reconstruct the deltoid ligament if pt and bracing does't help.
Dr. Jeffery VanYperen
Podiatry 12 years experience
Instability: Looks like you had surgery to plate the fibula, but not sure if anything was done about your deltoid ligament. It should have been inspected and repaired. If it is allowed to just scar in, it will always have too much slack, creating a very unstable ankle. If it continues to be this way, you will end up with severe ankle arthritis (more severe than expected after a fracture).
Dr. Jeffrey Bowman
Podiatry 38 years experience
Deltoid: Very important to stability and needs to be addressed if ruptured. With complete tear you can try brace, immobilization but usually ends up in surgery. Best of luck.

Last updated Feb 13, 2015