I broke my fibula and have a complete tear of deltoid lig. dr. said a brace wouldn't help my ankle, but it feels like my ankle wants to roll outward toward the other ankle. what can i do?

8 doctors weighed in across 4 answers
Dr. Wenjay Sung answered

Specializes in Podiatry

Ankle fracture: Sorry to hear. An AFO brace is worth a try, otherwise other stability braces are also available. As severs as your accident was, you may need further surgical procedures to fully gain stability if bracing, therapy, and exhaustive nonsurgicalntreatmentsvhave failed. I hope that helped. Good luck.

Answered 2/13/2015

5.1k views

Dr. Steven Sheskier answered

Specializes in Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Surgery

Difficult problem: Sounds like you have ankle instability due to a ligament (deltoid) being stretched out/torn. Usually the fibula prevents this from occurring (probably why it broke in first place) . There are surgeries that can reconstruct the deltoid ligament if pt and bracing does't help.

Answered 5/29/2013

5.1k views

Dr. Jeffery VanYperen answered

Specializes in Podiatry

Instability: Looks like you had surgery to plate the fibula, but not sure if anything was done about your deltoid ligament. It should have been inspected and repaired. If it is allowed to just scar in, it will always have too much slack, creating a very unstable ankle. If it continues to be this way, you will end up with severe ankle arthritis (more severe than expected after a fracture).

Answered 7/6/2013

5.1k views

Dr. Jeffrey Bowman answered

Specializes in

Deltoid: Very important to stability and needs to be addressed if ruptured. With complete tear you can try brace, immobilization but usually ends up in surgery. Best of luck.

Answered 5/29/2013

5.1k views