U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 49-year-old female asked about a 51-year-old male:

How would you treat as blood clot in a portal. vein?

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Cardiology 18 years experience
Depends: Several ways to treat based on size, location and other parameters. Blood thinners are routine.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Steve Kagan
Vascular Surgery 33 years experience
Anticoagulation: Generally speaking...Blood thinners. But a comprehensive answer can only be provided with detailed knowledge of your medical history. See your internist or a gastroenterologist.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.

Related questions

A 28-year-old female asked:
If a vein is swollen in neck can you have a blood clot?
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
A 59-year-old male asked:
What is the clinical significance of a blood clot in a vein vs. A blood clot in an artery?
2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
A 46-year-old member asked:
What does a blood clot feel like in you leg veins?
1 doctor answer3 doctors weighed in
A 28-year-old female asked:
Can blood clot in vein cause vision lost?
2 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
Last updated May 30, 2013
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $44!
50% off with $15/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.