U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 29-year-old male asked:

Need medicine for a migraine i've had imitrex (sumatriptan) and a shot injection but don't like the side effects of either is there anything out now thats better?

3 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
Dr. Darla Bryant
Specializes in Family Medicine
Absolutely.: Other medications include zomig, (zolmitriptan) maxalt, Amerge and others. Side effects vary from one medication to another and person to person. You could also consider medication to decrease the number of migraines, but only if they occur often enough to take something daily.
Dr. Julian Bragg
Neurology 18 years experience
Many options: There are many different abortive medications available, including triptans (like imitrex), fast acting nsaids, and others. If you are having headaches frequently enough to warrant daily medication, there are medications that can reduce the frequency and intensity of migraines. A neurologist can help you find the best treatment for your individual case.
A Verified Doctoranswered
29 years experience
Headache. Pain: Pain is a process of repeating questions, reexamining, testing blood, doing studies (x-rays ct MRI eeg...), trying combination of meds. Time to figure out response (sometimes we change meds too soon) time for a particular diagnosis to manifest and treat accordingly. The more your doctor knows you the better for you. It's challenging, but is duable. Best of luck to you and health.
Last updated Oct 3, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.