how do i know if my babys bug bit is infected?

Dr. Ruben Nazario
Specializes in Pediatrics
Spreading redness: Bug bites are very common in babies, and most of the time they go away on their own. Sometimes these bug bites can become infected, causing cellulitis, or skin infection. Signs of infection include spreading redness and pain from the site of the bug bite, fever, and pus coming out of the bite. If any of these are present, your baby may need antibiotics, either as an ointment or by mouth.
Dr. Roy Benaroch
Tender, hot, pain: Infection after a big bite is likely if after 24h the bite is getting more warm , red, and tender to touch. (swelling, redness, and warmth within 24h of the bite is usually not infection, but rather a local reaction that's similar to allergy).
Dr. Pamela Lindor
Pain and Redness: While many bites are red, itchy and swollen, pain in a bite may indicate infection. Pain, spreading redness, pustules, pimple, scabbing or drainage indicate infection. If the child is acting sick, feverish and favoring the area, have it checked. If you see a growing area of warmth and redness around the bite, or extending from the bite, see the doctor.
If it looks worse: A bug bite is usually ok if it looks like a typical small (1/4 to 1/2 inch wide) mosquito or flea bite. If there is a lot of swelling, a doctor should look at it to see if it is just an allergic reaction or is actually infected. If the bite area has stuff oozing out of it, or if the area is painful, the baby should be seen by a doctor to examine for infection.
Dr. Kevin Windisch
Pus: Pus or spreading redness are both characteristic of infection. If you note these signs, see your doctor.