Can a contact lense get stuck behind your eye?

20 doctors weighed in across 8 answers
Dr. Marianne DiNapoli answered

Specializes in Obstetrics and Gynecology

No.: The membrane surrounding the eye, the conjunctiva, prevents objects from going behind the eye. If you think you lost a contact in your eye, it would be very irritating and you should be able to grasp it by looking all the way up or all the way down.

Answered 2/20/2013

6.1k views

Dr. David Sachs answered

Specializes in Ophthalmology

No: I get this question answered often but, no a contact lens can not get stuck behind your eye. It usually just falls out or can get stuck under your upper eye lid.

Answered 7/27/2015

6.1k views

Dr. Chris Oh answered

Specializes in Internal Medicine

No: Physically it is important for a lens to get stuck "behind" your eye because it cannot get there in the first place due to normal anatomy. You may have corneal abrasion if you have scratchy sensation or "fullness" feeling - you should have your cornea thoroughly examined.

Answered 6/4/2014

6.1k views

Dr. Mark Pyfer answered

Specializes in Ophthalmology

No: A soft contact lens can roll up and go under the eyelid, but cannot get lost behind the eye. You should see your eye doctor to remove it if your eye is irritated. Most of the time the lens ends up lost somewhere (on the floor, in the sink, stuck to your clothing, etc.) while you were trying to remove it, and it is not really still in the eye. Your doctor will look under magnification.

Answered 5/19/2013

6.1k views

Dr. U Krishnan answered

Specializes in Ophthalmology

No: The surface of the eye is covered by the conjunctiva. This surface forms a barrier and prevents things like contact lenses from getting behind the eye.

Answered 9/11/2014

6.1k views

Dr. David Speck answered

Specializes in Ophthalmology

Not likely.: There is a tube of skin called the conjunctiva that extends from the edge of the iris, goes halfway back along the surface of the eyeball, and then turns around forward to join the inside of the eyelids. Unless you tear through this skin (which would bleed and hurt a lot), there is no way for a contact to go more than half way back on the eyeball.

Answered 5/19/2012

6k views

Dr. William Goldstein answered

Specializes in Ophthalmology

Impossible: There is no 'opening' for the lens to slip behind the eye. It will either be hidden under the upper or lower lid in a little cyl-de-sac known as the fornix.

Answered 3/26/2013

5.3k views

Dr. Richard Bensinger answered

Specializes in Ophthalmology

No: The front of the eye is sealed from the back by a continuous apron of conjunctival lining. A contact lense or anything else for that matter cannot penetrate behind unless there is a traumatic defect in that lining. Contact lenses including rigid lenses are too soft to cause such trauma.

Answered 12/28/2014

3.4k views