U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 18-year-old female asked:

Should i be worried & do i need to visit a gynecologist? i am not sexually active but my period is 7 days late. also had severe head/body aches for 3 days, &noticed abnormal bleeding (not period blood) from inner walls of now slightly painful vagina?

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Sewa Legha
Medical Oncology 52 years experience
Menses can be delayed for causes other than pregnancy. Any systemic illness(like respiratory infection, which you might have had but if the muscle aches are gone you are already recovering) could be the cause. I would ask you to see a gynecologist if the periods do not resume over the next 7-10 days.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Gurmukh Singh
Pathology 51 years experience
Menstrual irregularities are not uncommon and anovulatory cycle is a common cause. If you miss more than two periods it would be time to see your doctor. Consult this site. http://www.nichd.nih.gov/health/topics/menstruation/conditioninfo/Pages/causes.aspx
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.

Related questions

Last updated Nov 21, 2021
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $44!
50% off with $19/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.