PA

whats the difference between the first moderna shot and the second in efficacy? do both protect against hospitalization?

Dr. Hunter Handsfield
Infectious Disease 53 years experience
There is substantion protection starting 10-12 days after the first dose, with reduced frequency of infection, symptoms, severe symptoms, hospitalization, and death. However, you still need the second dose for maximum protection.
Neurology 52 years experience
The first shot confers about 50% efficacy at 12-14 days, and after the second, efficacy climbs to 95%. So, the two together can make you almost "bullet-proof" (credit this to Johns Hopkins School of Medicine).