I had my bloods drawn earlier this morning and now my arm is swelling. i noticed while the nurse was trying to get my blood on my right hand arm he kept blowing air from the syringe into my vein and now its sore and swelling?

2 doctors weighed in across 2 answers

Air in vein: It's dangerous to inject air into a vein as it can end up in the lungs causing an air embolism. The arm swelling can be caused by a blood clot in the vein. Get examined ASAP and have the physician report the nurse who you felt appeared to be injecting air into your vein so that an investigation can take place as to what really transpired during your venipuncture.

Answered 11/11/2020

27 views

Need to examine: It is unlikely that the nurse injected into your vein, however, you may have bled from the puncture site into the tissue. You should contact the clinic where blood was drawn. If that is not feasible and you have pain and swelling is increasing, you should go to the emergency department of a nearby hospital. For now put an ice pack on the site of swelling. Wish you good health!

Answered 11/12/2020

27 views