ZA

My baby is 5 days old. he has a watery stool and he couldn't sleep because he kept getting cramps all night. i changed his nappy 6 times between 11pm and 4am. should i take him to the doctor or will it go away on its own?

Dr. Jenell Wade
See the doctor: In a baby this young, I would be concerned for illness if he was having watery stools. Infants can easily get dehydrated and your doctor needs to examine him to assess for that. He needs to be checked for fever, may need blood work done, perhaps IV fluids. I would not wait for it to go away, as he may become very ill before that time.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Aug 3, 2020