Been 6 months and im still trying to recover from heel spur. have tried exercises, inserts , rest & still lots of pain. whats next? am flat footed.

2 doctors weighed in across 2 answers

Heel spurs: First, most pain from heel spurs come from the plantar fascia, not the spur itself. Do not let someone talk you into getting surgery. I have been doing ortho for a long time and I have never operated on a heel spur, but i see quite a few of them in practice. I tell patients on day one that it can easily take a year to resolve. Keep on with heel stretching and shoes with a good heel counter.

Answered 1/26/2016

6.1k views

See your doc: If you've been doing all the right things for 6 months without improvement then it may be time to consider other options (injections, formal therapy, surgery). However, heel pain can last a long time and waiting rarely causes bigger problems if the discomfort is bearable.

Answered 2/4/2012

6.1k views