U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 44-year-old female asked:

Feeling extremely exhausted most days ?

3 doctor answers13 doctors weighed in
Dr. Robert Kwok
Pediatrics 34 years experience
Many possibilities: A way to figure out what causes chronic exhaustion or fatigue is to keep a diary for 3 weeks and show it to one's primary care doctor. Diary should include things such as medicines taken, vitamins or supplements taken, caffeine / alcohol / illegal drugs used, bedtimes, wake-up times, stressors (job, home, spouse, kids, etc...), exercising, foods eaten, meal times, etc... Blood tests might be done.
Dr. James Ferguson
Pediatrics 47 years experience
Consider sleep apnea: One of the more common & under diagnosed causes of chronic exhaustion is sleep apnea. More common after 40 & if overweight the issue arises when your body does not allow you to enter deep restorative sleep stages because you stop breathing if you do for long. You can spend 9 hrs "asleep" but only get 1 of effective deep sleep. Start with your GP. Treatment is easy & effective.
Dr. Gurmukh Singh
Pathology 50 years experience
Need to examine: It is not feasible to provide a meaningful opinion without taking additional history, physical examination and may be some tests. It would be prudent to see your doctor and discuss if you may be depressed. Counter-intuitive as it may seem, exercise may help. Start with low intensity exercise such as walking and gradually increase the intensity as tolerated.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Oct 12, 2019


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.