my stool is visibly brown, but when i wipe, it is yellowish brown, mostly yellow. i have had a ct scan and all organs were normal. doc thinks i have ibs. what could this be? im confused because my stool is visibly brown. thanks!

Dr. John cuong Doan
Color of the stool: can be misleading. There are conditions related to the liver that can cause discoloration of the stool, but they are rare and mostly associated with liver disease. Yellowish stool can also be from whatever you eat, e.g. food coloring, processed foods. I would continue to follow up closely with your PCP/ GI team to help diagnose your issue. Thanks for trusting in HealthTap.
Answered on Sep 15, 2019