U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 23-year-old female asked:

I'm 23 yrs old, have been sexually active for 4 years. iv never had a pap smear before, do i need to go for one? and must i go to a gp or gyne?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. James Ferguson
Pediatrics 47 years experience
I would: An often cited suggestion is by age 21 or within 2 years of first sexual activity. The location would vary with local practice. Some GP's do, some refer them out, call the office & see.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Oct 7, 2020


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.