ZA

I have a piece of meat lodged in my throat. i can breath but its painful when i swallow and no saliva, water or anything will go down?

Emergency situation: We call that piece of meat a foreign object. An awake and alert person with a foreign object stuck in her throat that interferes with breathing or interferes significantly with swallowing (as in this case) should call for emergency medical services. In the US, she would call 911 for paramedics and ambulance. The main worry is that sometimes, the object could shift position and block her breathing.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Andrew Cheng
Specializes in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery
Meat in esophagus: If meat (without bone) got stuck in esophagus, it is due to spasm or incoordination og esophagus to “ push” meat downward through esophagus into stomach. Muscle relaxant may help, or with time the meat may soften and muscle will relax and pass. If severe pain, patient may need general anesthesia and endoscopic removal pf impacted meat in a hospital.
Last updated Mar 4, 2018