Hi i suffer from a terrible short term memmory...should i be worried?

9 doctors weighed in across 4 answers
Dr. Horacio Capote answered

Specializes in Psychiatry

Probably Not: It sounds like it's been an ongoing issue for some time. At the same time, it's worth getting evaluated as it is also clearly effecting your quality of life. Depression, vitamin deficiencies, & thyroid problems are a few of the reversible causes of cognitive problems. If a thorough medical evaluation doesn't show anything, you may want to get neuropsychological testing --- could be add.

Answered 4/20/2016

6.1k views

Dr. Martha Stark answered

Specializes in Psychiatry

Lots of remedies: Floral scents (aromatherapy) have been shown to improve memory and learning speed by about 17%; jasmine is particularly effective in improving concentration -- a critical component in "retention" of information. Dr. Robert stickgold, a sleep researcher at harvard, has discovered that a good 1-hr nap provides more opportunity for memory consolidation than 8 hours of sleep -- amazing!

Answered 5/8/2016

6.1k views

Dr. Martha Stark answered

Specializes in Psychiatry

More remedies: Pregnenolone is a natural sex hormone that boosts short-term memory. Niacin (a b vitamin) also enhances short-term memory and comprehension. Sage helps the memory and quickens the senses. All of the above remedies can be purchased from a good health food store. Also, staying "present, " "focused, " and "engaged" in the moment will improve concentration, attention, and retention.

Answered 5/8/2016

6.1k views

Dr. Michelle King answered

Specializes in Psychiatry

It depends.: There are several possible causes of memory problems, including depression, anxiety, sleep problems, and others. If you’re noticing memory impairment and are distressed by it, I would suggest an evaluation for not only your memory, but also what’s called pseudo-dementia to rule out other problems, or to treat your memory problem if that's what is the issue at hand. Good luck!

Answered 2/7/2016

1.7k views