Dallas, OR

I took benadryl to help me sleep but im fighting a nasty cold can i take tissin dm?

Dr. Lori Lange
Specializes in Family Medicine
Yes: Tussin DM treats coughs. It may not be helpful for a cold. It contains an expectorant which thins mucous and the DM part which quiets a cough. Try an OTC antihistamine. Better yet ask the pharmacy counter for behind the counter antihistamine with pseudoephrine. Use in morning to stop cold symptoms so you can sleep better at night.
Dr. Daniel Quon
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 42 years experience
You can, but: If you are not allergic to the contents and have a cold, taking an OTC med with DM (dextromethorphan) may be taken and should help you sleep. I would not recommend taking the Benadryl and the OTC med with DM together. You can also check with your primary care MD.

Last updated Mar 16, 2021