U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 19-year-old female asked:

I am experiencing unable to gain weight normally. the following also describes me: pale skin. what should i do?

2 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
Dr. Donald Colantino
Internal Medicine 62 years experience
Dietician: First you should be examined by a physician to see whether there is any medical abnormality like overactive thyroid, diabetes, tapeworm,etc which is preventing weight gain. If you're otherwise healthy, see a registered dietician or nutritionist who will determine your ideal weight, critique your eating habits, determine how many calories a day you personallyneed and outline a personal diet for you
Dr. Charles Cattano
Gastroenterology 40 years experience
Eating disorder??: There are lots of reasons for being underweight, & these should be ruled out by medical evaluation. Assuming your work-up identifies no maldigestion, malabsorption, inflammatory disease, chronic infection, metabolic abnormalities, CA, or non-gi systemic disease then weight gain is a simple matter of taking in more calories than you burn. Supplement with fortified milk shakes/ commercial products.

Related questions

A 48-year-old member asked:
Is there a natural way to get really pale skin?
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
A 45-year-old member asked:
Can you tell me about getting natural pale skin?
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
A 48-year-old member asked:
Can you tell me how to go back to having pale skin?
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
A 33-year-old male asked:
What is the definition or description of: Pale skin?
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
A 46-year-old member asked:
Does my skin pass as pale skin if I use fairness cremes?
1 doctor answer3 doctors weighed in
Last updated May 11, 2017


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.