Is trace protein in urine alone never a significant finding? thank you.

18 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Saptarshi Bandyopadhyay answered

Specializes in Hospital-based practice

Define "significant": Trace proteinuria could be due to any 1 of many DIAGNOSES. Not all causes are bad, but if a doctor ordered a urinalysis test, he/she must have had some REASON. Presumably, that doctor knows your CONDITION best - what illnesses you have / had (if any), & what state you were in during the visit. Important thing is to figure out WHY protein was reported in urine. Infx? Lab error? Kidney Dz? TTYD. GL!

Answered 4/9/2017

742 views

Agree: Hi Mohammed, I would agree that trace protein in urine, as an isolated finding, doesn't clearly indicate that there is active underlying disease. Not that it doesn't mean anything per se, just that it is a very weak finding and typically we would rely on other testing that is more sensitive and specific to help us make treatment decisions or decisions on further diagnostic testing. Hope this helps

Answered 9/29/2017

742 views