U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 36-year-old member asked:

36 year old male with a 2 cm echogenic focus in the liver on routine abdominal ultrasound. what does it mean and should i be worried?

2 doctor answers9 doctors weighed in
Dr. Arthur Heller
Gastroenterology 44 years experience
Need more tests: Often hard to tell exactly what things are on sono, a good screening exam. Ct or MRI can give additional very useful info. 2 CM is sizable (almost an inch) and needs to be evaluated. It may truly be a cyst, clump of blood vessels (hemangioma), or tumor (benign or malignant). History of hepatitis, meds, other drugs, occupational exposure, etc. All play a role.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Arthur Heller
Gastroenterology 44 years experience
Provided original answer
? contrast enhanced CT? No biopsy without MRI scan (with gadolinium) to make sure this is or is not a hemangioma. Don't want to biopsy a hemangioma=risk of massive bleeding. Imaging can help tell difference between adenoma, hemangioma, focal nodular hyperplasia (doubtful in men (steroid user?), more with birth control pill, Bloods like AFP, hepatitis serologies helpful. Talk to GI or liver sp
Jan 21, 2012
Dr. Bahman Daneshfar
Radiation Oncology 34 years experience
Several things : Hyperechoic means its more dense and hypoechoic is less dense. Each could mean different possibilities. The radiologists report should indicate these possibilities and recommended other tests such as ct or mri. Do as the report suggests. Possibilities don't have to be bad, such as cysts or hemangioma. But if there is concern for a mass further test and biopsy may be needed.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Sep 30, 2020


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.