Pittsburgh, PA

my ferritin level is 5.5 starting range is 6.2-137.0 is this a considerably low level? my iron levels are within normal range.

Pathology 49 years experience
Low iron stores: All laboratory results need to be interpreted in the clinical context and the doctor who ordered the tests is usually in the best position to do that. Having said that, your ferritin levels suggest low body stores of iron. Iron deficiency is common in women due to menstrual blood loss. You may take oral iron supplement with multivitamins and consult your doctor at the next visit. For good health - Have a diet rich in fresh vegetables, fruits, whole grains, milk and milk products, nuts, beans, legumes, lentils and small amounts of lean meats. Avoid saturated fats. Drink enough water daily, so that your urine is mostly colorless. Exercise at least 150 minutes/week and increase the intensity of exercise gradually. Do not use tobacco, alcohol, weed or street drugs in any form. Practice safe sex.