Nashville, TN

i am taking 10mg lexapro (escitalopram). i haven't taken it in 2 days bc s of stomach fly. i have facial tingling. is this w/d from not taking it and is it dangerous?

Dr. Rifat Naghmi
Lexapro (escitalopram): Lexapro (escitalopram) belongs to a group of meds called ssris and they should be tapered off gradually.
Dr. Danny Proffitt
Possibly: Long term use of antidepressants of various groups requires a gradual tapering to avoid side effects. Since these medications affect the central nervous system, there can be many side effects. I would discuss this with your prescriber and if no reason you cannot be back on the medication, start back. If concerned, see your pcp or prescriber.
Dr. Tedde Rinker
Not dangerous: It is likely from stopping the Lexapro (escitalopram) suddenly, and it's not dangerous, but you could get more tingling or shooting pain symptoms, or dizziness and nausea the longer you are off your meds. I suggest you get back on them or talk to your doctor to try a different antidepressant if it makes you nauseated aside from the flu.
Dr. Samuel Miles
Not dangerous: Facial tingling is probably related to the virus infection. It is possible that it is part of a discontinuation syndrome from zoloft (sertraline). In either event, it will pass quickly. If not, see your doctor to determine what the cause is.
Dr. Dwain Rickertsen
Family practice : It could be from withdrawal nausea is more common however. With stomach flu you wouldn't know if it was from the flu or withdrawal. If you are taking metformin your bs's could be fluctuating check with your dr.
Dr. Michael Easton
it could be. typically discontinuation syndrome consists of anxiety , restlessness, insomnia and feeling like your balance is off. It goes away in a few days to a week and it is not dangerous.
Apr 10, 2013