should i measure my peak flow before or after my breo with a long acting beta agonist? i measure twice a day and use breo in the morning.

2 doctor answers
Dr. John Chiu
Dr. John Chiu answered
57 years experience Allergy and Immunology
Depends: Since the bronchodilator in Breo acts rather rapidly, when to perform a PFR depends on what you want to know. If you want to know whether Breo works well for the entire 24 hr period, doing a PFR before would be the answer. If you want to know how much Breo can improve your lung function , doing it afterwards is the answer. In general, I prefer to see a pre-Breo PFR in assessing control
Answered on Aug 7, 2016
1
Dr. Michael Sanders
16 years experience Pulmonology
See below: I typically get my patients to measure their peak flow a few times a week and write it down. Typically this is done at whatever time you want, as long as it's the same time each day. I would measure before using the Breo. If you start feeling like youre getting sick or having an exacerbation, then I would measure everyday. If your peak flow drops by about 20% or more, you need to see your doc.
Answered on May 25, 2017
1