Australia

is dry drowning possible for a 7 year old who choke on a glass of water? she threw the water up right away while coughing.

Dr. Charles Gordon
Specializes in Adolescent Medicine
Highly unlikely : She threw up the water by coughing and if she still had water in her trachea she would have continued coughing until she got out most of the water. It is very unlikely that enough would be retained to compromise pulmonary function.
Dr. Luis Matos
Pediatric Allergy and Asthma 45 years experience
Possible, Not likely: Usually the terms dry and wet drowning refer to the lungs and not if the person is in or out of water. As water starts to enter the trachea it normally triggers cough. Some develop laryngospasm,water does not get into the lungs and if the larynx doesn't relax, you get dry drowning. it sounds like your little girl choked on the water. As long as she is coughing she will be fine. wish her the best.