so i went to the dentist today after being on antibiotics to get my abscess tooth extracted, how long does it take for swelling to go down?

2 doctor answers
Dr. David Epstein
23 years experience Cosmetic Dentistry
Depending on...: The type of infection it should go down within 3-7 days assuming you are following your doctors post-op instructions. In my experience doing this for 20 years, if the "source of the infection" is removed really the body (esp the mouth) should heal rather quickly. Anti-inflammatories are crucial, usually 600mg of ibuprofen every 8 hours with food or milk should help. Also icing/heat will help too.
Answered on Nov 28, 2017
1
Dr. Arnold Malerman
52 years experience Orthodontics
Depends: You had a virulent infection and both medication and surgery to cure the infection. Swelling diminution will depend on severity of the infection, response to the antibiotic (don't quit taking them until all are gone), extent of the surgery, and your bodies ability of reduce inflammation. Swelling should start to go down within 48-72 hours. If not, call your Dentist.
Answered on Dec 6, 2017