Gardena, CA

should a wellbaby exam include a diaper area check? until what age? and why?

Dr. Krishna Anand
Yes: Well baby examination always includes check up of diaper area like other parts of the body . There is no age limit .It is important to check up the skin ,anal part and genitalia .The babies skin is very sensitive and develop allergic rashes due to contact with diaper fabric or wet diaper .It is important to diaper area in 2 years or so of life.
Yes/diaper years: Well checks target recognition of issues that may not be apparent to parents.During the diaper years male infants need to have the position of their testis verified, since they need to stay in the sac or be brought down if hiding in the groin or belly.Girls may have a fusion of the inner labia that can close over the pee hole and lead to UTI's.When out of diapers these issues have passed.