WV
A member asked about a 59-year-old female:

My dad had an ischemic stroke on thurs. & was given tpa (alteplase). he has a "minimal" bleed on his brain. does this heal itself, and what is the recovery time?

Dr. Kevin Yoo
Neurosurgery 29 years experience
Yes, it heals: There is always healing as long as we are alive. The extent of healing and the recovery time depends mainly on characteristics of the patient and degree of injury. If your father is young and healthy or stroke is minor, relatively short recovery time. If old and sick or stroke is major, longer recovery. The blood will get slowly absorbed over weeks but this has very little to do with recovery.