Ireland

my left jugular vein is very distended when my head is below my heart and neck feels swollen, feel pressure in chest, could this be heart failure?

Dr. Linda Tao
Dr. Linda Tao answered
Cardiology 35 years experience
Could be normal: when the head is below your heart the jugular can get distended and the upper body can feel "congested". If you are ok when the had is at chest level and sitting up, and if you are able to walk quickly, slow jog without significant shortness of breath or chest discomfort the heart failure is unlikely. Symptoms of heart failure include exercise intolerance, air hunger lying flat and leg swelling.

Last updated Mar 13, 2016