Have intrusive thoughts, violent and sexual. i don't like, but they stick in my head. paranoid i might like them or get aroused by them. reassure pls?

3 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Julie Bruno answered

Specializes in Clinical Psychology

Seek therapy: As a professor once told me thoughts mean nothing without action. However, the more you feed your thoughts the closer you get to acting them out. Obsessive thoughts can be alleviated with medication and therapy. I recommend you speak to a psychologist if you feel you're on the precipice.

Answered 1/28/2016

1.7k views

Dr. Michelle King answered

Specializes in Psychiatry

As long as: the violent thoughts remain thoughts, and you’re not acting on them, or not with a non-consenting adult, there’s nothing wrong with fantasy. If the fantasies are distressing to you, I would recommend talking with a therapist to determine what might be underlying these issues. The primary concern is safety, but fantasies are harmless in and of themselves.

Answered 1/29/2016

1.7k views