is riding a bike reccomended for a torn meniscus?

Dr. Mark Galland
Orthopedic Surgery 32 years experience
Ask for protocol: Did you have an arthroscopic menisectomy (removal) or repair? In my patients that have an isolated meniscal repair i suggest riding a bike at 4-6 weeks with a high seat. If a menisectomy is performed recovery (to biking) may be faster, and with a meniscal transplant things progress slower. You should ask your physician for info on their protocol...
Dr. Robert Meislin
sports medicine 36 years experience
Bike riding: Riding a bike is always good therapy for the knee. If you do have a torn meniscus raise the seat slightly as you want to avoid hyper flexing the knee as this will cause increased translation or motion of the torn medial meniscus.
Dr. Peter Nefcy
Radiology 39 years experience
Yes and No: Riding a regular bicycle with a torn meniscal cartilage in the knee will probably make the symptoms worse. This is primarily due to loading the knee with the rider's weight during movement. If you want to keep up with your cycling while waiting for improvement or surgery, exercising with a reclining bicycle helps to keep joint movement active without large stresses on the knee.