Bone marrow biopsy/aspiration (chronic cytopenias/fatigue) f/u appt delayed 4 karyotyping. Is that usually to check CML or what else is possible? Thx

Dr. Kelty Baker
27 years experience in Hematology
Karyotype important: There are many things that cause low counts. CML isn't one of them - that causes high counts. Getting the genetic testing is very important for making an accurate diagnosis no matter what the diagnosis. I always make my patients wait for that before they come in for their follow-up appointment. I know it's hard to wait, but it's better to get the full and accurate picture all at once.
Answered on Dec 7, 2015