PA

can you get naegleria fowleri the brain eating amoeba from tap water? i got tap water up my nose. or can it not survive in tap water?

Dr. Louise Andrew
A Verified Doctor answered
A US doctor answered Learn more
Not at all likely: Only in LA has tap water been found to contain NF. Even so, it is not easy to get infected. If you do nasal irrigation you should boil the water first, but just a splash would probably not be dangerous if the water is chlorinated tap water. See http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/naegleria/public-water-systems.html
When water is: properly chlorinated N. fowleri is killed. "Naegleria fowleri can grow in public and private water tanks and pipes, especially where little or no disinfectant (like chlorine or chloramine) is present. It can also grow in the pipes and water heaters of homes and buildings." It is exceedingly rare for municipal water not to be adequately chlorinated. >
Provided original answer
REF: https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/naegleria/tap-faucet-water.html N. Fowleri has RARELY been found in public water systems (such as when CDC found 2 treated water systems in Louisiana in September-October 2013.) REF: https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/naegleria/public-water-systems-louisiana.html
Oct 1, 2017