U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A member asked:

I think i swallowed a small piece of metal from a can of sauce.! what do i do.? i'm freaking out.?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Michael Ekizian
A Verified Doctoranswered
21 years experience
You're ok: Most foreign body ingestions can be managed conservatively. If you are not sure about having ingested a foreign body, then it could not have been very large. In this case, if it has entered your stomach, it will likely pass in less than four days, probably sooner. If you develop any gastrointestinal symptoms, you can see your doctor. He might order an abdominal x-ray and manage you expectantly.
Last updated Jul 20, 2018


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.