I heard that having a root canal can cause breast cancer. i have a root canal for about 20 years in my mouth and am scared !

9 doctors weighed in across 4 answers
Dr. Douglas Lawson answered

Specializes in Obstetrics and Gynecology

Never heard this: I am unaware of any studies relating root canals to breast cancer.

Answered 8/10/2015

2.4k views

Dr. Theodore Davantzis answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Rubbish: Not sure where you've "heard" this information, but whatever source you're listening to could not be further from the truth. Do you really think there would be an entire dental specialty devoted to root canal therapy if the procedure caused cancer? Common sense alone should be enough to ease any fears.

Answered 8/10/2015

2.4k views

Dr. Addagada Rao answered

Specializes in General Surgery

Don't belive: Woman at your age yes there is reason to fear , but you have to take good care of yourself , by healthy diet , regular exercises avoid alcohol and drugs ( illicit ) and weight gain , besides self examination go to your doctor regularly for breast examination and follow up mammography as indicated Then you don't have to worry .

Answered 8/10/2015

2.4k views

Dr. Charles Kattuah answered

Specializes in Dentistry

That's news to me: It is amazing to me how much junk information is available to people at the touch of their fingers. Talk to your dentist about your concern and I am sure he/she will allay your fears. The important thing is that you continue to get regular preventative dental care so that your tooth will the root canal and your overall oral health can be monitored.

Answered 2/9/2017

2.4k views