I have a light colored brown vertical line on my index finger and middle fingernail on my left hand. i used to have a habit of biting my nail and peeling off layers from my nails, could this be a result? i hope this isn't anything too serious! thanks so m

Dr. Ira Friedlander
Cardiac Electrophysiology 43 years experience
So do I!: So do I on my index finger! This is completely benign (not a health problem at all) and has nothing to do with your previous biting habits. Think of it like a freckle or a discolored hair. It is made the same way by the nail cells right at the quick. They put dark pigment (melanin) into their growing nail and it extends as the nail grows. Think of it as just making you more unique and special!
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Sep 12, 2018