AL

what is something i could put on my infant's shot site to soothe his legs? i've heard milk of magnesia (magnesium hydroxide) and vicks vapor rub.

Dr. Katharine Cox
Pediatric Emergency Medicine 45 years experience
Shots: Giving Tylenol (acetaminophen) may be helpful. There are also topical numbing medications, such as EMLA that may help. All the best and I hope he feels better soon.
Cool compress: Topical applications generally do nothing but make you feel good about doing something. The discomfort is caused by a complex interaction of local and system reactions. Pain relievers help some. A cool compress will decrease the pain messages sent to the brain. I find Vicks is more an air pollutant that can trigger congestion and cough and never use it below school age.
Dr. Glynis Ablon
Dermatology 29 years experience
for infant pain tylenol and ice is best
Jul 2, 2015