I only seen my psychiatrist once. i'm on risperdal and zoloft (sertraline) without supervision and i won't be able to see him for 2 more months. what should i do?

10 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Patricia Foster answered

Specializes in Psychiatry

Call your doctor: What do you mean 'without supervision'? If psychiatrist takes you on as a patient, is prescribing for you and books appointments, he/she is responsible to respond to questions, urgent situations/crises, etc. Call psychiatrist to request appt. sooner if you are having a problem that can't wait. If he/she isn't available by phone or appt, or no covering MD available, start looking for another psych.

Answered 5/1/2016

2.6k views

Dr. Raymond Coffin answered

Specializes in Clinical Psychology

Call if you need to: Once he accepts you as a patient, your doctor is responsible for monitoring your progress. Hopefully he discussed the meds with you, including possible side effects to watch for. If you start to have problems that you believe are caused by the meds, call his office for an appt. If you're not able to get in soon enough and are worried, your primary care MD, urgent care center, or local ER can help

Answered 7/11/2015

2.6k views