Hemet, CA

Waking up with left side chest pain tat radiates to my left back (under shoulder blade), what can this be caused by? 30yr. female with lupus.

Dr. Nisha Manek
Specializes in Rheumatology
Chest pain in Lupus: Dear Lupi: Chest pain in a patient with lupus could be from the lungs or the heart. For example, Inflammation of the lung lining is called pleurisy which is a sharp pain and can radiate to the back. But there are also many other possibilities - the heart sac can be inflamed - called pericarditis and can present in the same way. You must see your physician for a thorough physical exam. Nisha
Dr. Nisha Manek
Dr. Nisha Manek commented
Specializes in Rheumatology
Provided original answer
Good, I am glad. Your physician will likely ask you more questions such as presence of fever, shortness of breath, and cough. Stay well!
Jun 18, 2015

Last updated Jul 2, 2018