A male asked:

Hello could apple cider vinegar ingested in large portions throughout the day register false positives on a scram alchohol monitoring bracelet?

Dr. Laura Yauch
Specializes in Family Medicine
No: No. Vinegar is not an issue. Hard cider would be another matter as that does contain alcohol.
Dr. Paul Williams
SCRAM bracelet: Based on my research the SCRAM bracelet detects the tiny amount of alcohol absorbed by the body but NOT metabolized by the liver and excreted in sweat essentially unchanged. Since vinegar is NOT the same chemical entity of ethanol, it would be my opinion that it would NOT create a false positive. However,- perfumes, colognes and many OTC hand cleanser contain alcohol and WILL trigger the device

Last updated Feb 29, 2020