MA

Got my mirena (levonorgestrel) iud in february 2015, got my first period 2 weeks ago, lasted 5 days and i started bleeding again 6 or 7 days ago and still am. why?

Dr. John Kirk
Nature of the Mirena (levonorgestrel): The Mirena (levonorgestrel) acts with Progestin, a synthetic hormone that thins the lining of the uterus. The lining is what is shed as a period when you are naturally cycling. When it is kept thin it tends to crack and breakthrough leading to usually light bleeding or spotting. In time it should diminish and resolve though it can take a couple months. Often women get no periods after a period of time with Mirena (levonorgestrel).
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated May 21, 2015