U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 16-year-old male asked:

Should i partake in my kung fu courses if i have mono? (no sparring or wrestling during classes)

2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Georgia Latham
Family Medicine 35 years experience
Avoid taking blows: to left side in case of spleen enlargement. Otherwise, it should be okay for you to partake in the class if you feel up to it. But avoid infecting others through close contact, sneezing, coughing, sharing glasses or utensils. The contagious period in which a person is likely able to transmit the virus to others lasts for at least a few weeks and possibly longer, even after symptoms have resolved
Dr. Jason Adler
Dr. Jason Adleranswered
Pediatric Critical Care 24 years experience
Not until cleared: If you have been diagnosed with mononucleosis, then you really should not be participating in a sport where there is even potential for you to be injured such as an inadvertent strike to the abdomen as this could injure your spleen. Typically, a period of 4 weeks of activity restriction is prescribed. You should obtain clearance from your doctor prior to participating in Kung Fu.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated May 20, 2015


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.