i am around 4-5 weeks pregnant,i had a miscarriage at 4 weeks during my first pregnancy. so, my gynaecologist has aaked me take vageston 200mg twice a day for a month but i read online that is a class d drug during pregnancy. is it safe to take this medic

2 doctor answers
Dr. John Munshower
Miscarriage History: it is safe, and used only in selected casesin those with increased risk of miscarriage eg bleeding, previous miscarriages etc. The aim is to support the corpus luteum till the placenta takes over at about 12w, by which time the fetus would have been relatively out of danger. However not every progesterone can be used this way, so internet searches will bring confusion. Best wishes.
Answered on May 6, 2015
Dr. Anne Phelan-adams
Specializes in Family Medicine
Yes, safe.: Vageston is a semi-synthetic hormone that--in theory--supports pregnancy in the early weeks prior to the full development of the placenta which then takes over the job of producing natural progesterone. It's perfectly safe but not always effective.There are many other factors that can cause early pregnancy loss that have nothing to do with insufficient progesterone. Best wishes to you!
Answered on Apr 28, 2015