NY

9day ago got hit in my eye. went to er day4. swelling went down. still have this purple bruise line under my eye. not changing colors. how much longer?

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology 52 years experience
Not too much longer: I am guessing that your eye is normal and not affected by this hit which apparently was soft tissue and perhaps a little bit of contusion of the bones around the eye. The normal pattern is to use crushed ice in a baggie for 3 days followed by very warm (not hot) soaks frequently for the next few days . This will accelerate absorption of the blood and fluid and speed the healing.
Dr. Jay Haddad
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 34 years experience
CT Scan: Was a CT scan performed in the ER to rule out an eye socket fracture? Any problems with your vision? You should follow up with a doctor for re-eval.
Dr. Andrea Rodgers
Emergency Medicine 28 years experience
Bruise: That is normal for the type of injury you had. The purple that you are seeing is blood beneath the skin, be patient it will start to change color and then fade. It may take about 3 weeks. If you have any vision changes, severe headache/facial pain or any new swelling see a doctor asap.

Last updated Jun 11, 2017