U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Lexington, KY
A 43-year-old female asked:

I have switched from nuva ring to oral bc and am now have a full blown period passing clots. heavy period x 1week. how to stop bleed ?!

1 doctor answer3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Mary David
Specializes in Obstetrics and Gynecology
It depends: It depends on why u r having the prolonged bleeding. If it is just due to the change from the Nuvaring to pills, just keep taking the pills and it should get better as your body adjusts to the change which can take as much as 3 cycles.If it is something else such as an infection, another medication, a polyp, or not taking the pill right, that particular problem will need to be addressed.C your doc

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Apr 8, 2015


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.