Does strep throat cause voice loss? Multiple sources tell me it does not, however my voice has been gone for a few days and I was diagnosed with strep

45 years experience in Pediatrics
Co-infections: Strep by itself would not trigger vocal cord swelling needed to cause voice loss. However, it can be carried without causing infection in 5-10% of the population and cause a positive test. Other viral infections that may cause voice loss and sore throat may be indistinguishable from strep clinically. You could have both infections or just a virus.
Answered on Mar 10, 2015