Southwest Houston, TX

how is cyproheptadine and an ssri safe to use together? don't they both affect the serotonin transmitter? but often prescribed together by docs. thx

Dr. Erik Messamore
Serotonin antagonist: Cyproheptadine blocks receptors for serotonin, histamine, and acetylcholine. In my experience it is THE BEST treatment for akathisia. There are a handful of very old small studies suggesting antidepressant benefit. But it may worsen anxiety in some patients. It has been suggested as a way to block SSRI-induced sexual side effects. I almost never meet anyone whose doc prescribes it w/ SSRI meds.