Australia
A 33-year-old female asked about a 1-year-old male:

my 18 month old son keeps getting a fever as soon as panadol (acetaminophen) wears off its been 3 days he has a dry cough no runny nose dr said there was no infection?

Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Pediatrics and Pediatric Pulmonology 36 years experience
Further workup d5: If your son is still having a fever of 101 degrees F or more for five days, I would suggest a further workup to include a CBC, diff, plts, CRP. Sometimes the findings of pneumonia may be very subtle and a chest radiograph may provide more information. Most likely he has a viral illness which will resolve in the next couple of days.
Dr. Kevin Carr
Need more info...: Fever that persists in a child should be re-evaluated in person by a Pediatrician or at Urgent Care or ED. The source of the fever sounds like it is in the lungs given the cough. It could simply be a virus, but I cannot exclude bacterial causes such as pneumonia without an exam. Fever with the symptoms you describe is certainly evidence of an infection. Viral or bacterial.
Dr. Sari Nabulsi
Specializes in Pediatrics
Cold: this whole thing could be cold that resolves in 3-5 days. If no vomiting, breathing difficulty or rash, it ok to watch it if he is drinking ok
Dr. Venkata Vallury
Cough: how high is the fever in todays day and age temp above 100.4 is considered as fever, anything below that the recommendation is not to give any medication

Last updated Feb 7, 2015