GB
A 33-year-old female asked about a 42-year-old male:

My immune system is attacking my liver, what causes this? (i am a none drinker of alcohol)

Dr. Andrew Seibert
Gastroenterology 36 years experience
Autoimmune hepatitis: we are not yet aware of the cause of autoimmune hepatitis. It's manifested by autoantibodies against the liver, manufactured by your own immune system. It can be a very aggressive disease, but often is very slow in its onset and its progression. Also, it is treatable, although some of the medicines can have side effects. It is vital that you are treated by a gastroenterologist . Good luck.

Last updated Feb 6, 2015